Monday 9 November 2015

Book Review: Eleanor and Park by Rainbow Rowell


Hey There!


'He kept making her feel like it was safe to smile.'

I loved a majority of this book I have to admit. I made me want to start reading lots of young romance novels, even though these are books that I normally stay away from. I would rate this book 4.5/5. 

If you haven't read this book, it is focused around 2 main characters; Eleanor, who is the new girl with big ginger hair and a random sense of style, and Park, who is the Asian kid at school who likes to keep himself to himself. They end up sitting next to each other on the school bus, and from here their relationship is able to grow through a mutual love of comic books and mix tapes. They both have issues to deal with, Eleanor more than Park, but these issues allow their relationship to build. It is through different point of views we are able to understand how both characters are feeling and how much we are able to empathise with them. 

For me, I really wanted to give this book a rating of 5, and within the first hundred pages I knew I was going to. But for me, the ending really let me down. It definitely came as a shock to me, but don't get me wrong, I still loved this book, and there is the possibility to read it again. I loved the way we were able to go on the awkward journey with these characters. We were able to be happy for them through certain parts, and then want to cry along when things were going wrong. The way this book was written was absolutely stunning. There were moments on nearly every page that you were able to remember, and be able to take a quote and feel something inside that just made you fall in love. 


I would recommend that every teenager and young adult read this book. It perfectly captures the awkwardness of falling in love at a young age, and the complexity of family life. And I can't stress enough, be prepared for a shock ending!!!!!!



Girl Without a Plan, Making Plans

xoxo

No comments :

Post a Comment